April 19, 2010
A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Village of Arthur, IL, was held on Monday, April 19, 2010. Village President Ron Kingery called the meeting to order at 6:30pm. Roil call was answered by Trustees Terry Clark, Karen Good, Larry Miller, Matt Bernius, Mike
McWilliams, and Iris Dicks.
Visitors present were Kaye Dick, Amber Mercer, and Village Comptroller Sue Perrine
Approval of Previous meeting minutes
The regular meeting minutes of April 5, 2010; the Water and Sewer Committee meeting of April 6, 2010; and the Tourism committee of April g, 2010; were approved as presented.
President Comments and Announcements
- President Kingery stated some of the Arthur Christian School students did some volunteer work for the Village on April 9 by cleaning up yard waste that clogs the drains and streets. . He recognized some citizens on good deeds they had done.
- The new waste water Plant operator, Brandon Potthast, started work today.
- Evaluations were completed for some of the Village employees.
- He reminded citizens that yard waste except for grass clippings, is picked up on the 1st & 3rd Tuesdays of the month. Citizens can also take their yard waste, except grass clippings, to the old railroad right-of-way in between those dates.
- President Kingery learned about the Governor's plan to reduce the amount of the income tax that is given to municipalities at a meeting earlier in the month. He read a resolution, and there was a consensus with the Board, to send to state legislators.
- He distributed a final revision of the Memorandum of Understanding with the Arthur Area Economic Development Corporation and the Arthur Area Association of Commerce. There was consensus with the Board in agreement with the document.
- K. Good reported she and President Kingery completed the evaluations with the Street and Alley employees. She inquired if contact had been made with MasterBrand about the truck traffic. The paint has been removed from the Street Department building. There is money in the budget to repaint. A red bud tree was given to the Village and planted at Meadowview. It has died, but the donor will replant another one and has others to donate to the Village. She
will contact that person for a dozen more trees, and the scouts might be able to work towards a badge to plant them.
- L, Miller reported he enjoyed working with the Arthur Christian School students.
- M. Bernius stated the new Waste Water employee, Brandon Potthast, reported for his first day of work today. They will continue with the current on-call schedule until Brandon's more comfortable with the plant. Jeff Mercer's evaluation will be completed this week.
- I. Dicks explained the guttering problems at the Visitors Center. Someone thought the cost to fix would be about $200 for labor and $100-200 for materials. The flagpole needs to be painted. There are a lot of weeds in the grass. There are a lot of boxes in the storage room that need to be recycled. Some of the flower beds need some mulch.
Police Chief Report
Police Chief Mike Goodman read a resignation letter from Pete Oye; he's taken a job as a private contractor in Afghanistan.
IDOT did a traffic speed survey on Rt. 133 around Spruce Street. He reviewed the number of speeding vehicles from 2001, and the numbers were lower this year.
Village Attorney Report
R. Crossman suggested signage for MasterBrand truck traffic.
He explained the Village is very similar to most other communities with the swimming pool ordinances. He reviewed potential changes about water depth and stated the public would need to be educated on the rules.
M. Bernius responded on the Water and Sewer meeting and about a drainage issue at Dogwood Drive. M. Bernius made a motion to allow Marsha Bowyer to install a tile and hook up the tiles that intersect with that, but no further connections can be made without the approval of the Village Board. M. McWilliams seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
M. Goodman reviewed Ty Ledbetter's pay was reduced last January to allow him to work the number of hours he needed to remain IMRF eligible. He has now found temporary full-time employment and requests his pay be increased back. M. Bernius made a motion to change Ty Ledbetter's pay rate to $14.05 effective 4ll9/10. I. Dicks seconded. AII Trustees voted YEA.
President Kingery reviewed the Tourism Committee meeting. The Arthur Area Association of Commerce made the only request for Hotel / Motel monies, L Dicks made a motion to give 57,500 to the Arthur Area Association of Commerce from the hotel / motel tax fund. T. Clark seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
M. McWilliams made a motion to enter into Executive Session regarding lot sales in Meadowview Subdivision. (5 ILCS 12012(c)(6)) The setting of a price for sale or lease of property owned by the public body. M. Bernius seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
The regular session resumed. All Trustees were present. President Kingery reopened the meeting.
M. Bernius made a motion to decline the offer for a 1ot and counter with the contract pricing. K. Good seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
M. Bernius made a motion to decline the offer for a lot from O.E. Schrock. M. McWilliams seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
S. Perrine explained the line item transfers. M. McWilliams made a motion to approve the line item transfers as submitted. I. Dicks seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
S. Perrine explained the Personal Property Replacement Tax. The Village receives the money, and then the Village pays the library 2938% of what is received. That payment is listed in the expenditures. Bourbon and Lowe Townships also receive money that they have to pay to the Village.
President Kingery reviewed the finances for the year and stated that $25,000 has to be borrowed from Water and Sewer, making the total borrowed $ I 5 1 ,000. He thanked the Trustees and employees for the work that was done on the budget and keeping to it. T. Clark made a motion for the General Fund to pay the Water and Sewer fund $126,000 to satisfy the debt from the previous year. K. Good seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
T. Clark made a motion for the General Fund to borrow $151.000 from the Water and Sewer fund to be paid back the 2010-2011 fiscal year. K. Good seconded. All Trustees voted YEA.
T. Clark made a motion to approve expenditures in the amount of $30,751.34. I. Dicks seconded. M. Bernius notified that A&R is going to re-invoice for a lesser amount due to a discrepancy. All Trustees voted YEA.
President Kingery reminded Trustees about the Finance Committee Meeting tomorrow night and a special meeting next Monday night regarding health insurance.
President Kingery adjourned the meeting at 7:52pm.